Dragon Dictation App – Voice to text application for tablets and smartphones
November 27th, 2013 by Monika Jankowska-Pacyna
Dragon Dictation App is a free speech-recognition application that allows users to dictate text, emails, tweets, or stories and convert them to text that they can edit and share.
Powered by Dragon® NaturallySpeaking® which allows you to easily speak and instantly see your text or email messages, Dragon Dictation can be up to five times faster than typing on a keyboard. The best part is that the written text can be shared via email or copied and pasted to other Apps such as Page or Google Drive.
Fantastic for students who are reluctant writers, need to practice their spelling or have learning needs, this App is becoming very popular in literacy classrooms that use tablets and smartphones.
You need to speak slowly and fluently to get accurate sentences and it might take a bit of time for the software to get used to specific accents, but it is well worth trying.
Here is a short overview of the app:
Literacy students can use Dragon Dictation to:
- record their teacher to take notes or instructions from class sessions and presentations
- prepare shopping lists or write down tasks they need to complete
- develop short speeches, write stories or work on poems
- dictate recipes
- draft emails or other messages they might want to send out or share with others
- read out stories from newspapers and practice their editing skills (spelling or punctuation)
- work as a group to develop a story with each student developing a section or answering a specific question
- practice how to give someone else instructions or directions
If you are using Dragon Dictation with literacy students, please share your story in the comments below.