Hybrid Policy Governance Board
- clearly distinguishes between the leadership roles of board and Executive Director
- ensures that legal and fiduciary requirements are met
- role is one of stewardship on behalf of its communities; it ensures responsiveness to community stakeholders
- focuses on the vision, mission, values and strategic priorities of the organization
- deals with issues
- monitors and evaluates the Executive Director's performance according to its policies
- governs the organization by articulating and documenting broad policies in four areas: ends, executive limitations, Board-Executive Director relationships and governing process
- ensures staff are empowered to carry out the mission within established limitations
- ensures the Executive Director provides operational leadership in managing the organization to fulfill its mission. Decisions are made by the Board as a whole.
The Audit Committee is responsible for the ethical, financial and legal compliance and operational efficiency of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director and the agency, consistent with the Bylaws, policies and strategic direction, approved by the Board of Directors. In addition the committee is responsible for the on going review of the organization’s strategic performance and the Executive Director evaluation process.
- Legal oversight
- Organization policy oversight
- Strategic plan performance audit
- Financial audit
- Executive Director performance evaluation process
The Governance Committee will be responsible for the orderly operation of the Board. It will develop a three year long term agenda as well as the regular quarterly agendas so that the various Board responsibilities such as reviewing bylaws, policies, board recruitment/nominations, board development and performance, strategic planning, budgeting are clearly scheduled in such a way as to assist in the smooth, timely and efficient operation of the organization.
- Strategic Planning - Initiate the Board’s strategic planning process when necessary
- Board Professional Development
- Performance of the Board (individual and committee)
- Board policy review
- Board recruitment/nominations – Initiate the Board’s nomination procedures for the year
- Setting Board agendas
- Bylaw review