Literacy and corrections website
March 23rd, 2012 by Monika Jankowska-Pacyna
AlphaPlus, in consultation with the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services and other adult literacy organizations, created a website designed as a “one-stop shopping” location for information and resources related to literacy and corrections.
Developed as part of a 2010-2011 Ontario LBS Research and Development project, the website is designed to support:
- teachers, literacy instructors and volunteer literacy tutors who provide basic literacy programs in correctional facilities and probation and parole offices operated by the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.
- Social workers, discharge planners and probation and parole officers who work with inmates and offenders in need of basic literacy programming.
- correctional administrators and volunteer coordinators interested in establishing basic literacy programs for inmates and offenders.
- potential volunteers and/or volunteer tutors who are interested in working with the offenders to help them improv their literacy skills.
- other correctional jurisdictions that are interested in literacy programming and resources.
This newly launched website identifies literacy resources, recommends tutor training programs and provides instructional tools and lesson plans. There are also links to community literacy resources and advocacy organizations in Ontario. The forum section allows literacy providers to share ideas and support each other.
Click here to visit the website.
We hope that collaborating with other organizations on developing and maintaining this website will help further our mission to increase adult literacy skills in Ontario and beyond.
We encourage you to explore the site and let us know what you think. If you feel there are tools, links or resources we should add or update, simply contact us at email@example.com.