HOW TO: Use Google Calendar and add AlphaPlus Events Calendar to your account
July 29th, 2010 by Monika Jankowska-Pacyna
To share information about events we plan to organize, attend or hear about from the field, we have set up AlphaPlus Events Calendar, using the Google Calendar application.
Google Calendar application is free and very easy to use. Within one Google Calendar account, you can:
- Create multiple calendars – you can set up calendars for different purposes, for example, one for work, one for birthdays, and another for special family events
- Share your schedule – your co-workers, family, and friends can see your calendar, and you can view schedules that others have shared with you
- Sync with your desktop applications – you can view your calendar entries however and whenever you want by syncing your Google Calendar with Microsoft Outlook and other applications
- Work offline – you can view a read-only version of your calendar no matter where you are, even if you are offline
- Set up reminders – you can set up customized reminders to remind yourself by email or text message about upcoming events
- Send invitations and track RSVPs – you can invite other people to events on your calendar and they can RSVP to your events by email or via Google Calendar
- Access the calendar through your cell phone – you can sync with your mobile phone’s built-in calendar or a mobile version of Google Calendar that’s made for the small screen
The AlphaPlus Events Calendar is public (can be accessed by anyone and is visible by search engines on the web) and will allow users to browse through the events and navigate through different months. Most importantly, it can be added to your own Google Calendar, making it easier to access and to receive reminders about upcoming events.
Click here to watch a short video about Google Calendar and how you can add AlphaPlus Events Calendar to your account.
To add AlphaPlus Events Calendar to your own Google Calendar account you can also follow the instructions below or click here or a printable handout.
1. Click here to open the AlphaPlus Google Calendar
2. With the AlphaPlus Google Calendar open, click on the Google Calendar image located in the bottom right corner of the Calendar
3. A new window will open where you will have a chance to learn more about Google Calendar, log in to your Google Calendar account or set up a new Google Calendar account if you do not have one
4. Type in your Email and Password to log into your Google Account (if you don’t have an account, click on the Create an account button and follow the steps)
5. The system will take you to your Google Calendar and automatically add AlphaPlus Google Calendar to your list of calendars
6. From now on you will be able to see all events that have been added to AlphaPlus Google Calendar directly in your Google Calendar account in the My calendars section (you will not be able to add or make changes to the entries, but you will be able to view them).
Note that the image above shows other calendars in this account, such as Blog posts, eNews, Front page, Surveys, and Tasks. These are private calendars, set up to help us keep track of our activities and deadlines.
Let us know about your experiences with Google Calendar. Send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org.