Padlet – a virtual wall
September 2nd, 2014 by Monika Jankowska-Pacyna
Formerly Wallwisher, Padlet is a free application you can use to create an online bulletin board (think of it as a virtual wall or corkboard) to display information on any topic. With a few clicks you can quickly add text, images, links, videos, files, and see in real time what others are posting.
It can be used by educators for classroom notices, discussions or collaborative boards; to set up activities (for example, math or vocabulary games); to share links; or to collect feedback. Students can use Padlet to post their thoughts on specific topics, connect with their classmates, make lists, share links and resources, plan events, set up calendars or even to collaborate on activities and projects.
With Padlet you can:
- drag and drop documents and files
- auto save
- see everyone’s activity on the wall instantly
- take and post pictures
- keep your wall private or make it public
- give others permission to make changes to what you posted
- use it on your computer, phone or tablet
- set layouts, backgrounds and colours
- put the wall on your blog or website.
You can use Padlet to:
- post information and notices, like on actual corkboard
- have students work on activities, for example, the “Word of the day”
- bookmark information and resources
- discuss specific topics
- brainstorm ideas, plan events or make lists
- take notes
- work on small quizzes
- share and watch videos
- collect feedback.
Using Padlet is very simple.
After you log in (note that you can even use your Google account), you simply:
- Click on BUILD A WALL.
- The wall is immediately ready for you.
- To post on the wall, you simply need to double-click on it. You will have an option to put a name or title on your post, write some text and add a link, upload an image or file, or use the camera to take a picture of yourself or something around you (if you are using a mobile device).
- Before you start posting on the wall, you can click on MODIFY WALL to start customizing it. In the Basic Info section, you can give your wall a title and description and you can also add a small image.
- Next, you can move to Wallpaper where you can also change the background.
- The Layout gives you an option to set it as Freeform, Stream or Grid. We chose Stream so that posts can be placed one below the other.
- There are also various privacy options you can set. We chose Hidden Link which will allow us to share the wall with others but the Google search engines will not see and index it.
- Notifications will allow you to enable emails that will let you know when someone posts on the wall (sent once a day).
- You will be given a unique address/url for your wall so you can share it with others.
- You will also have an option to share or embed the wall in a website.
Are you interested in learning more? Join us for a webinar on September 23, 2014, at 3 pm ET to learn about Padlet. Click here to register.