2020 in Review: Top 10 Items We Covered in Coaching
February 8th, 2021 by Monika Jankowska-Pacyna
A busy year for the adult literacy field and for AlphaPlus!
2020 has been like no other for our coaching team! It has been busy, hectic —and yes — sometimes overwhelming. Many programs reached out to our team to ask for ideas, support and training in the unexpected and fast shift to working from home and delivering their services remotely.
It was also extremely rewarding to see these programs try new things, build up their confidence and then take off with so many great ideas. They started connecting with learners online, sharing resources digitally, offering online training, expanding their social media presence and so much more!
Adult educators and practitioners grew their skills in 10 key areas
So what exactly were our Literacy and Basic Skills (LBS) coaching programs asking for and working on this year? Here are the top 10 items we covered in 2020:
- Exploring video conferencing tools such as Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams and others to find the best tool for them to meet with staff, volunteers and learners online.
- Learning how to share files and folders in the cloud through Google Drive or OneDrive to virtually access and share documents with team members working from home and with learners.
- Setting up websites with Google Sites to quickly organize and share information, lessons, links, videos and other resources with staff, volunteers and learners.
- Launching online classes using Google Classroom, Canvas, Moodle and more to move the lessons and activities to an online environment.
- Developing quizzes and assessments using Google or Microsoft Forms to quickly get and see the responses from learners.
- Digitizing printable materials to make the content accessible online as fillable forms or documents and using tools like Bitly to create short links.
- Looking for affordable devices (internet sticks, mobile devices and laptops) to provide learners with access to technology from home.
- Creating digital graphics, posters and promotional materials on Canva to reach learners via websites and social media.
- Editing videos to share stories and meeting recordings with learners.
- Applying for and setting up FREE Google Workspace for Nonprofits so that the entire organization can use Google apps such as Gmail and Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms and more remotely.
Get inspired! Join us!
“We don’t know what we don’t know” is one of the most common statements from our potential and new coaching clients. If you’re interested in exploring new ideas and tools with us, learning what other programs are doing and using, plus getting hands-on training and support in implementing new solutions in your practice, reach out to us!